英文介绍：Thanksgiving Day is the most truly American of the national Holidays in the United States and is most closely connected with the earliest history of the country.
In 1620, the settlers, or Pilgrims, they sailed to America on the May flower, seeking a place where they could have freedom of worship. After a tempestuous two-month voyage they landed at in icy November, what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts.
During their first winter, over half of the settlers died of starvation or epidemics. Those who survived began sowing in the first spring.
All summer long they waited 羊癫疯发作怎么办for the harvests with great anxiety, knowing that their lives and the future existence of the colony depended on the coming harvest. Finally the fields produced a yield rich beyond expectations. And therefore it was decided that a day of thanksgiving to the Lord be fixed. Years later, President of the United States proclaimed the fourth Thursday of November as Thanksgiving Day every year. The celebration of Thanksgiving Day has been observed on that date until today.
The pattern of the Thanksgiving celebration has never changed through the years. The big family dinner is planned months ahead. On the dinner table, people will find apples, oranges, chestnuts, walnuts and grapes. Ther癫痫发作的急救办法e will be plum pudding, mince pie, other varieties of food and cranberry juice and squash. The best and most attractive among them are roast turkey and pumpkin pie. They have been the most traditional and favorite food on Thanksgiving Day throughout the years.
Everyone agrees the dinner must be built around roast turkey stuffed with a bread dressing to absorb the tasty juices as it roasts. But as cooking varies with families and with the regions where one lives, it is not easy to get a consensus on the precise kind of stuffing for the royal bird.
Thanksgiving today is, in every sense, a national annual holiday on which Americans of all faiths and backgrounds join in 治疗癫痫什么药最好to express their thanks for the year' s bounty and reverently ask for continued blessings.
1. died of：死于…… 当死于身体内部原因的，die后面要接介词of，如：饥饿(starvation)、悲伤(sadness)等;当死于外因时则要用die from，比如死于受伤(wound).
2. it was decided that a day of thanksgiving to the Lord be fixed： decide可是个让你省事儿的好词了。它后面如果接从句，往往接虚拟语气。所以看见decide后面的从句，你就可以大胆地用动词 (should)+"原形""啦!
3. dressing：调味品、填料。这里的dressing可不是穿的呀，a bread dressing可不是"面包衣服"!和bread在一起，dressing自然就是吃的啦!它是"调味品"的意思，"穿"在食物的身上了.
4. consensus on：就……达成一致。注：consensus后面的介词要用on，而不用about。
5. continued：继续的。这里的continued看似动词continue的过去式，但它却是有自己的含义的，它是形容词"继续的"意思。这样continued blessings就是上帝"继续的赐福"了